Sunday, August 21, 2005

Everyone Talks About Poop! Right?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Boy, you can never spend enough time talking about poop, can you? Well, I can't. Because I clean up the poop of 3 living creatures (not including myself). My life is all about what goes into and what comes out of these creatures. Plus, now that Adam Monkey is almost 2, we have been spending a lot of time talking about poop and pee, where it comes from, and where you are supposed to do it.

I have NOT been looking forward to potty training. Adam first went pee pee in the potty when he was a mere 16 months old. He's been telling me when he's poopy for many months now, but with a newborn around I just haven't had the motivation to try to chase around a 2-yr old trying to get him to go on the potty and then cleaning up the messes that ensue when he can't quite make it. But he drags his potty chair out all the time and asks to sit on it. Then he asks for "poop book", which is "Everyone Poops". We have reserved it for potty time so that he has a positive association with potty time. I think he still believes the potty is a place where you sit while mommy reads to you.

He rarely actually does anything in the potty. Rather, he just enjoys the quality, one-on-one time, I think. Good tactic.

So the other day I made a major mis-step. Adam's poop was...um..."formed" as they say in pediatrician talk, which meant he was minorly constipated. Upon changing his diaper I said "oh, you have poop nuggets". He repeated it back to me and it was so funny coming out of the mouth of a 2-yr old that I couldn't help but laugh. Another wrong move. Laughing when your toddler does something is another way of telling them "Do it again!". So he did. All day and evening. He ran around the house yelling "poop nuggets! poop nuggets! I have poop nuggets!". I tried really, really, really hard not to laugh.

How deprived of social interaction am I that such a phrase makes me laugh so much? I can't wait until he masters more refined comedy and can start using sarcasm and parody.

Doesn't matter. I must learn to retain myself no matter how funny the phrase is. When we were in church the other day, during a realtively quiet moment, Adam pooped in his diaper. Immediately after he yelled "I POOPY!". Immediately I covered his mouth with my hand and ushered him out as fast as I could. My goal was to get out before he yelled "poop nuggets!". Which he did, but fortunately for me, he waited until we got into the bathroom. *Sigh*.

Moral of the story: Never say anything to your children you don't want them repeating in church. And never laugh when they do something that is as inappropriate as it is funny. No matter how hard up you are for a good laugh. Oh yeah, and get out more.

0 comments: