Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Mission Completion

I took a trip into space.

My name was inscribed on a microchip and blasted into space in 1999 on the Stardust mission by JPL. The purpose of the mission was to collect dust from the Stardust comet. In order to gain public awareness for the mission, some marketing genious for JPL started a campaign where you could submit your name to be included on two microchips. One microchip would return to earth upon completion of the Stardust mission and the other chip would be left in space forever...

I included my name as well as my nephew's name (I only had one nephew at the time). So, we are now immortal.

Please visit the Stardust mission's web site for information. Stardust just returned to earth with more samples than NASA engineers thought possible. It's such a cool mission and the public outreach for this mission for NASA on this mission was among the most creative campaigns they have ever come up with.

0 comments: