Friday, June 02, 2006

Some Gardening Notes

Not to bore you. This post is merely so I can keep track of what's going on in the garden so I can refer to it next year. Ok, and it is so I can brag about my gardening adventures. But just a little.

In my raised bed, I planted early blooming sweet peas, beets, and carrots from seed. I did this late April/early May. A few weeks ago I transplanted some basil and oregano. Last week I stuck in some late blooming bulbs. I can't remember exactly what kinds, but they are all orange. I did this because I got tired of all the veggie planning and wanted something that, after it bloomed, wouldn't need quite so much maintenance. Plus, I had no other place to put the dang bulbs.

So, after I had planted all the veggies seeds, Desi promptly got up in the garden and started digging. I was thoroughly expecting nothing to grow. But the things are growing great! The basil doesn't seem quite as happy about its lot in life as the oregano plant does - that thing is crazy!

Now I have to figure out when I'm supposed to harvest these things....?

As for the new garden spot I dug out next to the shed, everything I planted there seems pretty happy about life. The Rhubarb has always been insane. It produces faster than we can possibly eat it. I put in a Hydrangea (endless summer). It is partially shaded, but unfortunately takes a lot of late afternoon sunshine and tends to droop in the evening. An evening watering usually brings it back to life. I put in a Lily of the Valley and some annuals. I'm going to have to put in some more annuals to keep the weeds at bay until the hydrangea starts to get fuller.

The tomatoes, as always are growing like mad. Soon they'll be threatening to take over the house. I went with small fruit varieties in all three planters this year, since the bigger fruits tend to get eaten by pests before they can fully mature.

I've been spending all my time in the back yard and veggie garden that I haven't done a lick to the front yard other than mow. It needs a lot of help!

0 comments: