Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Translation

I wrote an essay for my English class on learning to speak Minnesotan. I won't make you read the whole thing, instead, I'd like to offer you the following translations, should you, traveling to or from Minnesota, ever want to communicate with the locals.

West Coast Speak .........................Minnesota Equivalent
Muggy.........................................................Humid
Lunch..........................................................Dinner
Dinner.........................................................Supper
Casserole....................................................Hot Dish
Ok, I've got to go.......................................Well, I suppose...
I'm hungry.................................................Oh, if you're hungry, we can eat
I feel like crap...........................................Oh, things could be worse

The biggest translation problem is not the words themselves, but the indirect way in which the words are used. I've learned that a true Minnesotan never has (or shows, anyway) strong emotions or desires. Being a fairly direct person, I've had a lot of difficulty adjusting to this.

I don't think I'll adopt the very indirect approach, but understanding the local custom helps a little bit.

1 comments:

ekbworldwide said...

In Japan (I live in Tokyo) :

(Tokyo)
American Japanese
-------- --------
Yes. Maybe.
No. Maybe.
Absolutely not. Maybe.
Okay. Hai.
I don't understand. Maybe.
I'm hot. ...
The weather is nice. I'm cold.
I think... It's difficult.