Tuesday, March 08, 2005

World Debut

OB appointments aren't what they used to be. With Adam, I was chomping at the bit to go in, get measured, hear the heartbeat, and secretly wished, all along, that my OB would say "Damn woman! What are you doing here? We had better rush you into L&D stat!" (they always say "stat", right?). Well, the closest he ever came was to tell me "DO NOT, under any circumstances, gain any more weight", and "Most women who live here go into labor about a week early. Your little baby is head down and very low. I bet you go into labor a week or two early.". I was induced three days after my due date.

Not this time, baby! I am scheduled to be "unzipped" as a dear friend calls it, at just under 39 weeks. So April 22nd, 2005, only 45 days from now, Natasha will be making her world debut.

I would worry about going into labor early, but we don't do that in my family. You have to yank our babies out. So yanked out she will be. I have 3 weeks of help arranged. Of course, they recommend 6 weeks of not lifting more than 10 pounds after a cesarian and Adam is about 3 times that now, but that's what the good drugs are for!

It's safe to admit that I am now, officially, scared shitless to have another baby around, right? It's just that at this stage in pregnancy, you would give up not hearing newborn screams and washing bottles or having sore nipples in favor of being able to tie your own shoes or get out of bed without audibly grunting.

That said, I wasn't sure we'd have another after Adam. Now, I'm not sure we'll even stop after Natasha. Just to keep myself safe from my own hormonal whimsy, I am scheduling an IUD implant 8 weeks after delivery. At least I will have to schedule an appointment to get pregnant next time!

0 comments: