Sunday, March 09, 2008

10 Miles

I finally did it. I finally ran 10 miles (at one time).

Although I am still a giant cow, this is the farthest I have run in one attempt. Even farther than when I weighed 116 lbs and could run an 8:30 mile for 3 miles.

The curious thing is that I thoroughly enjoy running much more than I did when I was skinny and it all came so easy to me. Now, I can't just hammer my way through a run. I have to relax while doing it. That was not a skill I was ready to develop a few years ago. When you are 25, you think you can do anything as fast as you want. When you are 31, you know better (or at least you should).

Just 'cuz you take longer to do it, doesn't mean you can't do it.

So the thing I was supposed to focus on this week according to my training plan, was learning to visualize myself on my best run, or at the end of the marathon in order to have "positive mental tapes" to pull myself through the rough spots. I didn't make my mental tape according to plan, but rather, used what works for me...I always turn to the molecular level, trying to imagine glycolosis, aerobic respiration, CO2/O2 exchange - the crap I try to picture when I'm actually in school and having to learn something difficult.

When that fails, I turn on ESPN and watch college basketball.

4 comments:

leah said...

I wish I could find enough motivation to get off my butt and do something active! You are my inspiration, deary!

Mama Monkey said...

Awe, thanks Leah!

You are actually my inspiration. Frankly, I think running 10 miles takes less than staying at home with three boys! (this is probably why you are in much better shape!)

Papa Monkey said...

Atta girl!
Doesn't it make you feel great?
Mom said that explains why she was so tired that day.

Mama Monkey said...

Thanks, Papa Monkey.

I like to think I have your running genes. Hopefully I can take these genes as far as they can go.