Wednesday, July 27, 2005

The New Kid on the Block

Well, at least for a few weeks.

My nephew is in town. He's still young enough to consider visiting his aunt in Minnesota a fun thing to do. I love having him out here. It's like I have someone to act my age with. Er, I mean, act young with. Plus, he's really good with kids and having a younger brother Adam's age means he's very well trained in the re-binkying technique and is quite good at wrestling, chasing, peek-a-booing, and other forms of toddler entertainment.

Adam is in love. Devin is the big brother Adam wishes he could have. We tried our best, but I guess the best we could do for Adam is a little sister. Not exactly what Adam had in mind, I think. Adam says at least 73 times a day "Hi Devin!". Understandably, Devin's enthusiasm has waned and it's noticeable in his now obligatory replies. Still, he's wonderful with Adam.

Desi is also quite taken with him since Devin gives Desi the most attention the poor dog has had since...well...September 21, 2003. So between Desi and Adam, Devin doesn't really get a rest. It's hard being popular.

Devin even managed to make a few friends on our block. Kids come over asking for him and he's been here less than a week. He went with a group to the movies yesterday, and according to my neighbor, her 11-yr old son is mesmorized with Devin. I think his Halo 2 skills impress him.

So not only do I have tons of help keeping Adam happy ("mommy! mommy!" 2oo times a day has been replaced by "devin! devin!"), but the kids also does yards. And feeds the dog and takes out the trash. All I have to do is supply soda, frosted flakes, and no rules. Hey, I'm the aunt. I can do that.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

0 comments: