Friday, April 11, 2008

Kneeded: good doctor

And...check.

I finally got in to see the elusive Dr. Barnes today. I was referred to him via last week's appt. The knee ain't doin' much better. Walking to my office from my car every day involves a .6 mile walk (more like a hobble) with elderly Clinic patients angrily shuffling past me as they glare and curse at the fact that I'm making them late for their glaucoma screen.

It's been 5 years, people. This is ridiculous!

As I mentioned before, I thoroughly expected to be told "don't run anymore". Instead, the former doctor for all of the Professional Ohio sports teams ordered my MRI to determine the extent of the damage. He told me that we'll use whatever combination of therapies necessary to get me back into my running program so I can finish the marathon. I probably won't be doing Med City but I think Grandma's might still be a possibility! He mentioned physical therapy, braces, and possibly "injections". I wanted to hug him.

I thanked him for making the effort to help me continue running and that I feared he'd say "don't"...he laughed with me and jokingly said "yeah, just give it up". He got it.

In the meantime he told me to try biking to keep the cardiovascular fitness. If that doesn't work, swimming.

That's a "can do".

Or at least a "will try".

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

GREAT NEWS! Sounds like you lucked out and got a good doctor! Hope he can put you on the path to healing soon! Hope to see you tomorrow (Sat). I'm still planning on going to that event at Mayo High School around noon. Give me a call in the morning if you want! Assuming you read this tomorrow...else, this will sound really dumb when you read it Monday! :-)