Thursday, April 03, 2008

Scientifically Proven: I'm Fat

I've always said there are a few theories about myself I'd prefer to not put to the test. 1) I have a very high IQ, 2) The only thing keeping me from becoming the next American Idol is that I'm just not that interested, and 3) Despite all outward appearances, I am extremely fit.

So I put the third hypothesis to the test today and had a "wellness evaluation". My VO2 max is slightly above average, though not as great as I had expected. My leg strength is in the 85% of women my age, but...I have a lot of belly fat (duh!) and very poor upper arm strength.

I guess I didn't need modern technology and a young man fresh out of college with a bachelor's in kineseology to prove this to me, but I now have the proof.

My only bit of light in this dark cloud of self-discovery is that these are things that can be improved upon. I will finish the marathon this spring. And I will be much more fit.

Last Sunday I finished my longest run ever. 12 miles. 12 boring, painful miles. Tuesday = 4, Wednesday = 6, today was my day off and tomorrow another 4 miles. The great thing is that it's going to be nice enough to run outside tomorrow!

Yay spring!