Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Language Instincts

I have had a few funny conversations with Adam lately that are illustrative of just how much this kid never fails to surprise me with his verbal acumen.

One conversation:

Me: "Adam, do you feel ok today?"
Him: (all of 4 1/2): "Why do you ask, mom?"

************
Another
Jason: "Do you like that pizza, buddy?"
Adam: "I quite believe I do!"

************
A few weeks ago we were reading the Night Before Christmas (yeah, we need to put it away) and I got to the part "Then I ran to the window and threw up the sash!"

A few minutes (and pages) later he asks, "what's a sash?"...so I explained what it was and moved on. He then says "he threw it up?" and I failed to catch on to the path of logic this was following.

He rescued me..."Oh, you mean threw up like with his arms, I thought you meant threw up like 'blehhhhh!"

I love the literal brains of 4-year olds!

0 comments: