Friday, September 30, 2005

Birthday #2

He's officially out of toddlerhood and into the preschooler stage. Let the terrible two's begin!

Mr. Adam Pants had his second birthday. The celebration happened on the 19th, a Sunday, but his real birthday was on the 21st. His grandparents from Seattle came to visit him, Papa for one week and Grandma "Toody" for two weeks. So it's basically been his birthday celebration for two whole weeks.

It has been confirmed by sources other than myself that Adam is indeed quite bossy. When Papa was playing with Adam he was assigned specific toys and was given detailed instructions on how to play with those toys. He has also thoroughly entered the stage of expressing his independence. When we are crossing the street he knows he is supposed to hold my hand. At the intersection I say "hold mommy's hand, Adam". To which he responds "No, I hold my own hand" and then he proceeds to hold his own hand and start crossing the street.

It's a mother's myth that you get back as a parent tenfold what you dished out as a child. I fear it may be true. I took everything literally and no piece of information was taken for granted. I never accepted euphemisms or generalizations or half-facts and always wanted to know more. I exhausted my poor mother. And now I fear, my child may just do the same thing to me.

Adam is, at two years old, talking at a 4-yr old level. I thought this was fabulous until I realized that he still has the temper of the average 2-yr old. So, he can quite eloquently demand what he wants and then proceed into a massive temper tantrum when you don't give it to him (for instance, M&M's at 6:30 am). Here is where I must grow as a parent and learn to not cave in the face of those forceful demands. Everyone just keep your eyes out for us on Supernanny one of these days. My little tyrant explicitly detailing what I need to do for him every second of the day...He's hyper intelligent, very sensitive, and quite loving toward his younger sister. But he will most definitely require DH and myself to constantly educate ourselves as parents. Thank goodness he's so tough!

Here's our preschooler on his birthday:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Here was the little Booger at 10 pm refusing to go to sleep. He went and put the party hat on as if to say "hey, this party a'int over, you party poopers!"
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

0 comments: